While the home should feel like a safe place that we have total control over, the truth is, there may be many dangers around our house we don’t even know are there.
Since companies can be so deceiving and often the laws are not in our favor as consumers, it’s hard to know what products are actually safe. In reality, even products that are deemed “safe” may not really be safe at all.
To help you keep you and your family out of harm’s way, it’s important to know what products are contained of. Here are some of the most dangerous out there, which may be lurking in your cupboards right now.
That’s right, your beloved non-stick cookware that makes it easy to rinse fried foods off with a few wipes of a sponge may be hurting your health. Even though non-stick cookware makes it possible to wash things off which would otherwise take all night soaking in a pan, it may be threatening your health. The convenience of stick-free technology comes with a hefty price of toxicity.
The coating that makes these pans non-stick is called Polytetrafluoroethylene. When it’s hot, it releases gases that have been linked to health risks such as cancer. That doesn’t sound very appealing now, does it?
Although you may love the way that your house smells when you spray a few spritzes of your favorite air freshener, it’s not doing your lungs any favors.
You should be extremely careful about whatever you put into the air that you breathe. Over time, the chemicals found in air fresheners can build up in your body, resulting in respiratory issues and in some cases, even reproductive issues!
Unfortunately, cleaning sprays are one of the most dangerous on this list and the most likely to be seen in most cupboards. It’s vital that you use these products sparingly, making sure that you never spray it anywhere that will be ingested. Keep windows open in the meantime, and consider using a natural alternative.
The reason your favorite furniture polish smells so potent is because of the extremely flammable materials inside of it. Not only are they very capable of starting a fire, but when ingested over an extended period of time, it can cause cancer.
Most furniture polishes content phenol and nitrobenzene which aren’t doing your health any favors. These chemicals are very bad for your lungs and may even be absorbed by your skin.
The ingredients put into toilet cleaner to make it so good at what it does is unfortunately extremely damaging to the human body. Even the slightest splash in the eye can cause a significant burn and in some cases even blindness.