Intercourse and the Metropolis sequel And Simply Like That unveiled its finale on Thursday—and you understand what meaning. Sure, like each different latest “restricted collection” that folks really watched, it stands a great opportunity of returning for an allegedly unplanned second season. In a latest interview with Selection, govt producer and star Sarah Jessica Parker mentioned that she “undoubtedly” needs to make extra AJLT and is hoping to get the staff into planning mode quickly. “As a result of there’s a calendar and also you don’t wish to let an excessive amount of time go. There appears like there’s momentum.”
Alas, momentum isn’t fairly the identical factor as recent materials. For all of the dialog it generated, AJLT additionally gave us some fairly cringe-worthy story traces, with characters like Miranda’s devoted husband Steve and Miranda’s queer love curiosity Che Diaz receiving significantly harsh scrutiny. So, in hopes of digging the present out of its rut—and to cleanse our workplace Slack of two months’ value of half-serious brainstorming—TIME‘s tradition employees is providing showrunner Michael Patrick King and his writers’ room some free concepts for season 2. You’ll be able to thank us later.
What’s subsequent for Carrie, Miranda, and Charlotte?
From Large’s dying to Miranda’s sexual awakening to everybody studying about flash durations, And Simply Like That confirmed that center age is wealthy with complication and drama, and that issues are sure to be eventful for the women on the middle of the collection. Right here, now we have some concepts on what comes subsequent:
- In a Roseanne-finale-style twist, we study that And Simply Like That season 1 was really a dramatization of Carrie Bradshaw’s debut novel, and what occurred in her actual life throughout the identical interval was considerably completely different. Whereas Miranda remained caught in a holding sample with Steve, Large divorced Carrie as a result of he had fallen in love with Anthony. So who died? Charlotte, of poisonous shock syndrome.
- Carrie discovers that her younger new downstairs neighbor is Large’s love little one from when he lived in California.
- A personality on the present encounters—gasp—monetary issues. Or, maybe, Carrie makes a good friend whose internet value is under seven figures.
- Simply as Carrie is settling right into a rhythm with a brand new love curiosity, Aidan returns, shaking every part up.
What is going to occur to all the brand new characters?
And Simply Like That‘s inclusion of recent characters and storylines not totally centered on Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte, and Samantha (who doesn’t seem within the reboot however is often talked about) had some hits and lots of misses in its try to handle variety, racism, and questions on gender id. New characters akin to Lisa Todd Wexley (Nicole Ari Parker) and Nya Wallace (Karen Pittman) launched storylines about infertility and the gripes that come up in all long-term relationships. Che Diaz, performed by Sara Ramirez, shortly turned some of the controversial characters on TV. A queer and nonbinary slapstick comedian and podcast host, Che develops a relationship with Miranda, prompting her to reevaluate her marriage to Steve. The character of Che and their trajectory ignited a heated debate on-line, prompting present creator Michael Patrick King to come back to their protection in a latest interview with Selection.
In the meantime, Sarita Choudhury sparkled as Seema Patel, a glam and confident actual property agent who befriends Carrie and is open about her want for love—however some critics argued that And Simply Like That underutilized the character, typically relegating her to the margins of the plot. It stays to be seen what is going to occur to Seema, Che, LTW, and Nya, however now we have some concepts:
- Che Diaz goes on tour and we by no means should see them once more. Simplicity could be key.
- What went down in Cleveland? An important second in season 1 finds Miranda on her manner Che to Cleveland to say she is in love with them and devoted to their relationship. The present by no means revisits this and we see Che and Miranda collectively within the following episode—having, apparently, ended issues with Steve—as if nothing occurred. Give us a flashback to Cleveland!
- At the least one episode focuses on a day in Seema’s New York Metropolis, as we see her promote properties, flirt, and smoke her manner round.
- Seema and Steve are roommates and function one another’s wingmen as they hit the courting scene.
- Seema, an Indian-American lady in her mid-50s, doesn’t should defend her life-style decisions to her dad and mom.
- A present in regards to the cutthroat world of Higher East Facet New York households starring Lisa and Herbert Wexley. I suppose they will often invite Charlotte and Harry over for dinner for the sake of continuity.
- Herbert Wexley and Miranda face off in a run for NYC mayor.
- Brady and Luisa get pregnant and Nya adopts the newborn.
- Nya divorces her husband and begins courting Miranda, who was dumped by Che.
What to do with Steve
It’s doable to empathize with Miranda’s unhappiness along with her life and marriage whereas nonetheless feeling unhealthy for Steve, whose life modifications utterly when Miranda admits how she feels. Right here, just a few concepts on how And Simply Like That can deal with Steve higher:
- Steve will get again along with acrylic nails Debbie (an ex from Intercourse and the Metropolis).
- Steve strikes to Vermont, the place the courting scene is way more his velocity—and meets a woman lumberjack who likes Steve for Steve.
- Steve goes on Queer Eye, not for life-style causes, however for confidence to get again on the market on the courting scene.