Protests in Sudan escalate amid reports of victims, videos claim to show military opening fire — RT World News
At least two protesters have reportedly been killed as the Sudanese military opened fire to disperse massive crowds that flooded the streets of Khartoum and Sudan’s other major cities on Saturday to protest a military takeover.
The protesters filled the streets of Khartoum waving Sudan’s national flags as they demanded the restoration of a civilian-led government. Another large demonstration was witnessed in Omdurman and other Sudanese major cities.
“We will not be ruled by the military. That is the message we will convey,”Al Jazeera was informed by activist Tahani Abdulbas before the demonstration. Mohamed, a protester identified as Mohamed said the army should give the leadership to Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok. “Our demand is a civilian country, a democratic country, nothing less than that,”He added.
On social media, videos posted showed huge crowds of people filling large streets in the city. They were singing anti-military slogans and chanting. Al Jazeera reported that Sudanese authorities had imposed internet and telephone communications restrictions. The protesters were able to organise by handing out leaflets, graffiti spraying on walls, and holding smaller rallies in their neighborhood.
Sudan’s police and security forces blocked most major roads in the capital. Some videos on social networking sites show that the military opened fire on protestors. People on social media claimed that live ammunition was being used, and crowds fled to Nyala and Omdurman.
According to the Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors (non-government), at least two protesters were killed in Omdurman. Another 38 were also injured. Some were also shot. Local medics stated earlier that 100 people were wounded in chaotic scenes on Saturday.
Demonstrators demanded that activists held by the military from Monday’s takeover demand their release. Led by General Abdel-Fattah al-Burhan, the military ousted Hamdok’s government and announced that a new technocratic government would be formed.
Burhan also announced on Monday that he would be dissolving the Sovereign Council – a body tasked with overseeing the transition period since the ousting of Sudan’s longtime leader Omar al-Bashir in 2019. Burhan was the previous leader of this council.
He also insists that the military takeover wasn’t a robbery. “coup”And the military sought only to “rectify the course of the Sudanese transition.”He said that he would continue to hold elections for July 2023, as planned even after the coup.
The military overthrow of the Sudanese government sparked protests which quickly turned violent. Media reports claim that at least 11 people have died and several others were injured.
Antonio Guterres, UN Secretary General, called for the military’s restraint on Friday and denounced the coup. “People must be allowed to demonstrate peacefully,” Guterres said.
Massnews.com also available
UNSC calls on Sudan’s military to end coup and restore civilian rule, as six Sudanese envoys fired by de facto leaders
Are you sure your friends would find this interesting? Tell your friends!