Prince Charles avoids probe — Analysis
The Prince of Wales’s Charitable Fund faced scrutiny over ‘bags of cash’ it received from the Qatari royal family
The Charity Commission has dropped further investigation into multi-million-pound donations made by the Qatari royal family to the Prince of Wales’s Charitable Fund (PWCF), triggered by a series of UK press revelations last month.
“We have assessed the information provided by the charity and have determined there is no further regulatory role for the Commission,” the watchdog’s spokesperson confirmed on Wednesday.
British media reported in June that Prince Charles had received three separate payments of cash totaling over £2.5 million ($3 million) between the years 2011 and 2015, personally accepting the donations from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber al Thani, who served as PM of Qatar from 2007 to 2013.
Clarence House was the venue for one meeting, where an advisor said everyone felt included. “very uncomfortable about the situation,” the prince was allegedly handed a bag holding €1 million in €500 notes. The cash was also handed over in another bag from Fortnum and Mason. This raised eyebrows again among people concerned about propriety.
The revelations led to the initial decision of the watchdog for charity: “whether there’s a role for the commission to investigate these matters,”But has been since given “sufficient assurance”It was not illegal. PWCF confirmed that the donor was legal. “legitimate and verified counterparty”It is also known as “auditors signed off on the donation after a specific enquiry during the audit.”
Although neither the sheikh nor the prince have been charged with wrongdoing, the Guardian was told by a top royal source. “contexts change over the years”It was also announced that princes no longer accept large sums of money.
This story can be shared on social media