Muslim convert charged with killing 5 in Norway bow-and-arrow attack has been sent for psychiatric assessment, prosecutor says — RT World News
After being charged with five murders, a police prosecutor said that the Norway bow and arrow attack suspect was under evaluation by psychiatrists. The police knew him and the mental healthcare services.
Ann Iren Svane Mathiassen, a police lawyer, told Norwegian tabloid Dagbladet on Friday that Espen Andersen Brathen (37), had agreed to be turned over to the Health Services for an evaluation of his mental health; this process started Thursday.
Two psychiatric specialists will observe and assess the accused to determine if Braathen was mentally healthy at Wednesday’s time. Braathen already admitted to the attack.
Massnews.com also available
Norway: The attacker with the bow and arrow who shot five people to death in Norway had recently converted to Islam. There were concerns that police might have seen signs of radicalization.
He could be sentenced to compulsory psychiatric services if the experts determine that he wasn’t insane. The prosecution could raise concerns that Braathen might offend again if he’s deemed sane.
On Thursday, police said that there was a probable terrorist motive for Braathen’s actions. On Wednesday night, the Danish citizen who converted to Islam, and displayed signs of radicalization had attacked Kongsberg, killing five people and injuring 2.
Police knew him. “several different issues”It had been “in contact with… the health service several times.”He showed other signs of radicalization.
All of the suspect’s victims were between 50 and 70. According to local media sources, the attack began in a supermarket.
Share this article with friends if you enjoy it!