Mix and Match Outdoor Furniture Styles for Max Impact

People increasing appreciate flexibility, and expressing it through outdoor furniture styles is no exception. By using a variety of colors, materials, and shapes, homeowners can create something both functional and unique. They can even take this approach to revamping an existing outdoor furniture set.

Both indoor and outdoor furniture has evolved over the years. Designers and manufacturers typically focused on producing furniture with one material at a time like leather or wood. As consumer tastes changed, so did the willingness of designers and manufacturers to produce furniture pieces with a personality all their own. The latest furniture trend falls in line with the larger trend of people preferring greater personalization with everything they buy.

Start by Selecting a Dominant Color

Color is an important element for creating an attractive outdoor furniture set. When setting up an outdoor entertainment and dining space, people would do well to choose a dominant color and focus the rest of the pieces around that color. The colors do not necessarily need to be the same but should complement each other well. For example, earth tones blend well with gray and off-white tones.

Complimentary Textures and Materials for Outdoor Furniture Styles

Woven outdoor furniture is trendy these days, and it pairs well with pieces made from other types of material. Chairs made from wicker material matched with a couch constructed from slate gray aluminum is the perfect example. One design tip to keep in mind is that lighter colored pillows and cushions make an attractive contrast with darker colored outdoor furniture. The contrast can also help the outdoor area maintain a clean appearance for longer because dust tends to collect and show more on chair and sofa cushions with darker colors.

Combining Design Styles

Homeowners often have one design style they strongly prefer while appreciating other design styles at the same time. The beauty of decorating outdoor space is that people can be flexible with their design styles. Modern and contemporary can go well together as can mid-century and traditional design styles just as two examples.

Interior decorators typically recommend that people choose one primary style and select approximately 80 percent of the furniture pieces according to that preference. The remaining 20 percent should blend in well with the primary style so as not to draw away from the intended look.

Choosing the Best Layout for Outdoor Furniture

Placing outdoor furniture in groupings based on color, design style, or type of material makes sense from an aesthetic perspective. Choosing this option allows non-matching outdoor furniture groups to complement the main grouping without looking chaotic or disorganized.

Placing a transition like a half wall or area rug helps break up outdoor furniture groups as well. This type of arrangement enables each space to function as its own room. Consequently, homeowners and guests will appreciate the uniqueness of the different areas. At the same time, homeowners should be conscious of selecting a dominant color that helps to unify the entire outdoor seating area.

Taking these considerations into account and mixing and matching outdoor furniture styles takes time. However, the efforts results in beautiful outdoor spaces that homeowners are happy to share with others.


A Strong

Andy is a young writer from New Zealand, who hopes to bring fiction and poetry to the masses. He’s written many short stories and poems over the years, and hopes to do more. Andy hopes to join the creative writing course in September 2016, and feature more of his creative writing as the course progresses.

Related Articles

Back to top button