High Court rules on UK govt violations during pandemic
The judges found that British authorities ignored the possibility of elderly people being moved into care homes.
The High Court found that British authorities in health violated the law when they failed to consider the possibility of elderly patients being placed into care homes during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Two women – Cathy Gardner and Fay Harris, who lost their fathers to the virus in early 2020 – sued the then-Health Secretary Matt Hancock and Public Health England over how the initial outbreak of Covid-19 had been handled.
Despite rejecting their other claims, the judges sided with the complainants, who questioned the government’s directives on the use of care homes at the start of the outbreak in the UK.
The lawyer representing Gardner and Harris stated last month that these orders contributed to the deaths of approximately 20,000 patients between March 2020 and June 2020 in England and Wales. “Put together, the various policies were a recipe for disaster and disaster is what happened,”He explained.
The ruling of Lord Justice Bean (and Mr Justice Garnham) was made Wednesday. They concluded that March and April 2020 documents from the health authorities were unconstitutional. “irrational”because they did not consider non-symptomatic transmission to vulnerable elderly people.
Already, there was “growing awareness”Hancock was not aware of any possibility that asymptomatic coronavirus transmission could occur at the time. However, the judges found no evidence to support Hancock’s handling of such risk when Hancock dealt with the care home wards.
The government could’ve told asymptomatic patients to quarantine for 14 days to avoid further spread of the virus, they pointed out.
But this wasn’t done as the “drafters of the documents of March 17 and April 2 simply failed to take into account the highly relevant consideration of the risk to elderly and vulnerable residents from asymptomatic transmission,”The ruling was as follows:
They stated that health officials had not dealt with the problem of non-symptomatic transmitting disease until April 2020.
Hancock’s spokesperson said that Hancock had responded to the ruling with the statement, “The then-health secretary had been reasonable in his actions but Public Health England had.” “failed to tell ministers what they knew about asymptomatic transmission”Of the coronavirus.
“Mr Hancock has frequently stated how he wished this had been brought to his attention earlier,”According to the spokesperson,
After a scandal in which Hancock was caught with an assistant in Whitehall, Hancock quit as Health Secretary in June 2021. This violated social distancing regulations.
Fay Harris called upon Boris Johnson, prime minister of his country’s failed government, to quit while he was speaking outside the court. “Reckless” and “illegal” policies.
They exposed vulnerable individuals to greater risks of death, and thousands died as a result.The complainant also claimed that he blamed the UK authorities for dishonesty, refusing to admit his mistakes and being dishonest.