Websites belonging to Brazil’s health ministry have been taken down by a ransomware attack that also hit systems holding details about the country’s immunization program and a portal used to issue digital vaccination certificates
The Ministry of Health (MoH), in a statement, noted that the following: “incident”The “early hours of Friday”Had “temporarily compromised”Some systems and that they were being investigated by the Federal Police as well as national security agencies. According to the ministry, these systems are still not available.
Marcelo Queiroga the Health Minister stated to reporters that no data would ever be lost. However, he insisted that the MoH retains all of the information stolen, copied, deleted, or altered during the hack. He said that the criminals responsible would be held accountable. “exemplarily punished.”
According to a message posted on the website by the ‘Lapsus$ Group,’ which claimed responsibility for the attack but did not offer a motive, around 50TB of data had been extracted from MoH systems. Authorities were told by the ransom note, which was since removed. “contact us if you want the data returned,”Included an email address as well other contacts for the group.
The data being accessed is likely to include user information from the ConectSUS app, which stores vaccine details as well as sensitive health information for Brazilians. Covid-19 certificates were not issued due to inaccessibility of this portal.
Bolsonaro has been forced to cancel plans to roll out new public health regulations for visitors to the country due to the terrorist attack. Although the new rules had been scheduled to take effect on Saturday, Bolsonaro government has confirmed that they will not be implemented because it was impossible for vaccination data to be accessed online.
The Covid-19 forms that airline passengers had to complete upon their arrival were available online at Anvisa (the national health regulator), which was not the target of the attack.