19 Killed, Including 9 Children, in Fire at New York City Apartment Caused by Space Heater

(NEW YORK) — A defective area heater on a cold Sunday morning sparked a hearth that crammed a high-rise Bronx condominium constructing with thick smoke, killing 19 folks together with 9 kids. It was New York Metropolis’s deadliest hearth in three many years.

Trapped residents broke home windows for air and stuffed moist towels below doorways as smoke rose from a lower-floor condominium the place the hearth began. A number of limp kids have been seen being given oxygen after they have been carried out. Evacuees had faces coated in soot.

Firefighters discovered victims on each flooring, lots of them in cardiac and respiratory arrest, mentioned Fireplace Commissioner Daniel Nigro. Some folks “couldn’t escape due to the amount of smoke,” he mentioned. Greater than 5 dozen folks have been harm and 13 folks have been hospitalized in vital situation. The hearth commissioner mentioned a lot of the victims had extreme smoke inhalation.
[time-brightcove not-tgx=”true”]

Mayor Eric Adams praised FDNY firefighters for persevering with to make rescues even after their oxygen tanks had run out.

Stefan Ringel, a senior adviser to Adams, mentioned the youngsters who died have been 16 years previous or youthful. Adams mentioned at a information convention that many residents have been initially from the West African nation of Gambia.

Apartment Building Fire
Yuki Iwamura–APLadders are seen erected beside the condominium constructing the place a hearth occurred within the Bronx on Sunday, Jan. 9, 2022, in New York.

One man who was pulled to security mentioned he’d initially scoffed when the hearth alarm went off, saying he’d turn out to be numb to them due to frequent false alarms on the condominium tower.

Nigro mentioned investigators discovered the hearth “began in a malfunctioning electrical area heater” in an condominium unit spanning the second and third flooring of the 19-story constructing. The door to the condominium and a door to a stairwell have been left open, letting smoke shortly unfold all through the constructing, Nigro mentioned.

Constructing resident Sandra Clayton mentioned she ran for her life when she noticed the hallway filling with black smoke and heard folks screaming, “Get out! Get out!”

Clayton, 61, mentioned she groped her manner down a darkened stairway, clutching her canine in her arms. The smoke was so thick and black that she couldn’t see, however she might inform there have been different tenants close by as a result of she heard their panicked wails and crying.

Her canine, Mocha, slipped from her arms within the commotion at was later discovered useless within the stairwell.

“I simply ran down the steps as a lot as I might however folks was falling throughout me, screaming,” Clayton recounted from a hospital the place she was handled for smoke inhalation.

About 200 firefighters responded to the constructing on East 181st Avenue round 11 a.m. Sunday.

Constructing resident Luis Rosa additionally thought the it was a false alarm at first, however when a notification popped up on his telephone, he and his mom started to fret. By then, smoke started wafting into his Thirteenth-floor condominium and he heard sirens within the distance.

He opened the entrance door, however the smoke had gotten too thick for an escape, he mentioned.

“As soon as I opened the door, I couldn’t even see that far down the hallway,” Rosa informed The Related Press. “So I mentioned, OK, we are able to’t run down the steps as a result of if we run down the steps, we’re going to finish up suffocating.”

“All we might do was wait,” he mentioned.

One other resident, Vernessa Cunningham mentioned she raced house from church after getting an alert on her cellphone that the constructing was on hearth.

“I couldn’t consider what I used to be seeing. I used to be in shock,” Cunningham, 60, mentioned from a close-by faculty the place some residents gathered. “I might see my condominium. The home windows have been all busted out. And I might see flames coming from the again of the constructing.”

The 120-unit constructing within the Twin Parks North West advanced was inbuilt 1973 as a part of a undertaking to construct fashionable, reasonably priced housing within the Bronx.

The drab brown constructing looms over an intersection of smaller, getting older brick buildings overlooking Webster Avenue, one of many Bronx’s major thoroughfares.

By Sunday afternoon, all that remained seen of the unit the place the hearth began was a gaping black gap the place the home windows had been blown out. Residences as excessive because the twelfth flooring additionally had damaged home windows. The intersection was choked with police and hearth autos, and onlookers have been nonetheless snapping cellphone footage of the construction as darkness fell.

“There’s no assure that there’s a working hearth alarm in each condominium, or in each widespread space,” U.S. Rep. Ritchie Torres, a Democrat who represents the realm, informed the AP. “Most of those buildings haven’t any sprinkler system. And so the housing inventory of the Bronx is rather more vulnerable to devastating fires than a lot of the housing inventory within the metropolis.”

Nigro and Torres each in contrast the hearth’s severity to a 1990 blaze on the Completely happy Land social membership the place 87 folks have been killed when a person set hearth to the constructing after stepping into an argument together with his former girlfriend and being thrown out of the Bronx membership.

Sunday’s dying toll was the very best for a hearth within the metropolis for the reason that Completely happy Land hearth. It was additionally the deadliest hearth at a U.S. residential condominium constructing since 2017 when 13 folks died in an condominium constructing, additionally within the Bronx, in keeping with knowledge from the Nationwide Fireplace Safety Affiliation.

That fireside began with a 3-year-old boy enjoying with range burners and led to a number of regulation adjustments in New York Metropolis, together with having the hearth division to create a plan for educating kids and oldsters on hearth security and requiring sure residential buildings to put in self-closing doorways.

Sunday’s hearth occurred simply days after 12 folks, together with eight kids, have been killed in a home hearth in Philadelphia. The deadliest hearth previous to that was in 1989 when a Tennessee condominium constructing hearth claimed the lives of 16 folks.


Related Press reporters Michael R. Sisak and Jennifer Peltz contributed to this report.


Related Articles

Back to top button