British law enforcement said they’ve already received a number of “relevant documents” from The Prince’s Foundation
London’s Metropolitan Police has announced an investigation into media allegations that one of Prince Charles’ charities offered a Saudi businessman honors and citizenship in exchange for lavish donations.
According to a report by the Sunday Times in September, Saudi Arabian billionaire Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz was knighted in 2016 with the assistance of Charles’ aides after giving money to projects supported by the eldest son and heir of Queen Elizabeth II.
These revelations had caused Michael Fawcett (a long-standing aide of the prince) to resign in November as chief executive officer at The Prince’s Foundation.
On Wednesday, the Met stated in a statement that an investigation had been launched into allegations under the Honors Act (Prevention of Abuses Act 1925) after its Special Enquiry Team conducted an earlier assessment “which has included contacting those believed to hold relevant information.”
The Honours Prevention of Abuses Act 1925 has been alleged to have led to an investigation. This decision was made following an evaluation of Sep 2021 correspondence relating to media reports alleging that there were offers of assistance to obtain honours or citizenship for a Saudi citizen.
— Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) February 16, 2022
The police force said it had already contacted The Prince’s Foundation in light of that assessment, and the organization has furnished “a number of relevant documents.”According to the statement, there were no cautionary interviews or arrests as part of this investigation.
In response to news reports, the spokesperson of the high-ranking royal stated that the “Prince of Wales had no knowledge of the alleged offer of honors or British citizenship on the basis of donation to his charities.”
Clarence House – Charles’ official royal residence – said earlier that it would “of course”You will be ready to support any investigation conducted by the police.
News of the investigation came a day after the queen’s second son, Charles’ brother Prince Andrew, had agreed a financial settlement with Virginia Giuffre over her lawsuit. Giuffre was accused of sexually assaulting Giuffre as a teenager.
Share this story via social media