Horror Film Convention Promoter Speaks After Busey Charges
CHERRY HILL, N.J. — A horror movie convention promoter says it is assisting authorities following charges against actor Gary Busey involving alleged sexual offenses at an event in New Jersey earlier this month.
Busey was charged with four counts of criminal sexual contact in fourth degree, and one count each of attempted criminal sexual contacts. This all stemmed from the alleged actions that Busey took Aug. 12-14, at the Monster Mania Convention at Doubletree Hotel. Police announced Saturday.
Monster-Mania Convention said in a Facebook post that after attendees complained, an unspecified “celebrity guest was removed from the convention and instructed not to return.”
“Monster-Mania also encouraged the attendees to contact the police to file a report,” the company said, adding that behavior that compromised the safety and well-being of attendees would not be tolerated. “Monster-Mania will continue to assist the authorities in any and every way possible,” it said.
“It was about contact. It was about touching,” Lt. Robert Scheunemann told The Philadelphia Inquirer of the muliple complaints police had received about Busey’s conduct.
Busey (who lives in Malibu California) was set to appear as a guest of honor for the three-day event.
The police did not respond immediately to my request for more information. It also wasn’t clear whether Busey has an attorney to comment on the charges, and a representative didn’t immediately return a message seeking comment Saturday.
Busey is widely known as a character actor, largely in supporting roles, though he came to attention and was nominated for an Oscar for best actor for playing the title role in the 1978 film “The Buddy Holly Story.”
Read More From Time