Disgraced Cuomo brothers attempt comebacks – media — Analysis
Andrew Cuomo was the former governor of New York. He resigned last year after multiple allegations of sexual harassment and accusations that his policies led to thousands in Covid-19-related deaths in nursing homes. Sources familiar with the matter told CNBC they believe he will run again for governor to clean his record.
Cuomo, who was cleared of sexual harassment allegations by 11 women in August, resigned and was replaced last year by Kathy Hochul, his lieutenant governor. A recent poll found Cuomo to be only four points behind his successor. He reportedly started receiving support messages from friends.
Hochul is defending her seat in the Democratic primary for 2022 against Tom Suozzi, a Long Island congressman, and Jumaane Wils, a New York City public advocate. Cuomo had planned to run for a fourth term before his third was cut short – and it might be his last chance, as Hochul has sought to limit all serving governors to two terms.
Let off the hook on both the harassment charges and on accusations of covering up thousands of nursing home deaths, Cuomo’s campaign still has some $16 million to spend, while his former second-in-command Hochul will be entering the primary season with over $20 million. However, nearly 6 out of 10 New York voters agreed with the state attorney general’s office that Cuomo had “Violates federal and state laws,” and even many members of Cuomo’s own party are vocally against the idea of him running again.
Cuomo’s younger brother Chris is also on the warpath, demanding $125 million from CNN in private arbitration proceedings. Cuomo, the younger of the two brothers was fired after he advised his brother how to beat the charges. He now wants $110m in damages as well as $15m he believes he owes under the contract with CNN.
New York City is facing backlash following the ban on homeless people from the subways
“Cuomo was unfairly discredit for his journalistic integrity, and it has made it nearly impossible to find work similar in the future.,” the former host’s lawyer said in a statement on Wednesday. The hefty sum being sought from the network “includes not only the remaining salary owed under the Agreement, but future wages lost as a result of CNN’s efforts to destroy his reputation in violation of the Agreement.”
Cuomo PrimeTime on CNN was suspended last November after it was revealed that the host of Cuomo was more deeply involved than he had admitted in offering defense advice for his brother. Documents alleging as much were released by New York Attorney General Letitia James, showing Cuomo was proactively hunting down information and sources on behalf of his brother and was engaged in conversations with members of the governor’s staff.
Share this story via social media