Clashes erupt during journalist’s funeral in Jerusalem (VIDEOS) — Analysis

Al Jazeera reported that the funeral for a journalist turned into violence between Palestinians, Israeli security forces.

On Friday, clashes broke out in Jerusalem during Shireen Abu Akleh’s funeral. She was a Palestinian veteran journalist who worked for Al Jazeera over two decades. In unspecified circumstances, the reporter died in an Israeli military raid on the West Bank earlier this week.

Israeli police blamed violence in Gaza on Palestinians “rioters”The alleged attackers reportedly pelted hospital grounds with stones, starting the funeral procession. Officers “were forced to act,”Tel Aviv insisted, and security forces deployed crowd control measures in order to disperse them. “rioters.”

The scene captured footage of Israeli police beating Palestinians with batons and charging the funeral procession. People carrying the reporter’s coffin were apparently targeted as well, nearly dropping the casket on the ground. The violence left at least 10 Palestinians with injuries.

Abu Akleh, a journalist from the north of the West Bank was shot and killed during an attack on Jenin. Palestinian authorities immediately blamed the Israeli forces for Abu Akleh’s death. They claimed that she was killed after being shot in the head. Ali Samoudi was another Palestinian journalist who was injured in the back by the raid that decimated the city. He is now in stable condition.

Veteran journalist killed in West Bank

Al Jazeera Qatari State-Owned Network has condemned the assassination of the journalist and called it an “abusive act.” “heinous crime”And pinned the blame on Israel for her demise.

“We hold the Israeli government and the occupation forces responsible for the killing of the late colleague Shireen,”In a statement the network urged transparency and independent investigations

Israel expressed willingness to investigate the incident together with Palestinian authorities but demanded that they turn over the bullet which killed Abu Akleh. However, the Palestinian Authority has rejected this initiative.

The Israeli military issued an interim report regarding the incident on Friday. Although the report didn’t contain any conclusive information, it stated only that it wasn’t possible to tell whether or not the fatal bullet came from Israeli soldiers.

Share this story via social media



Related Articles

Back to top button