According to the Donbass republic, Ukrainian forces are attacking residential areas.
More civilians have been killed and hurt in Donetsk after two straight days of shelling by Ukraine, officials from the Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) said on Tuesday.
Two people were killed and five wounded, including a child, in the city’s northern Kievsky district, DPR officials said. Four people sustained injuries in shelling at the Kirovsky area of Donetsk’s western region.
Video footage shows missile pieces lying on the ground in videos.
“People were screaming, and some were hurt. I immediately went outside to administer first aid and to look whether there was any damage,”RT received a report from a local woman.
“I saw munitions [on the ground], and a little bit farther I saw huge fires – the stores were burning … The same thing happened yesterday – more shelling.”
Officials said that several strikes were made on Monday in the capital city, as residents celebrated the 77th anniversary the defeat of Nazi Germany during World War II. According to them, the fatalities include a 16-year old.
The Ukraine denies that it has attacked civilians, and repeatedly accuses Russia of bombarding Kiev’s residential areas. Moscow claims that its only strikes military targets.
Russia attacked the neighboring state in late February, following Ukraine’s failure to implement the terms of the Minsk agreements, first signed in 2014, and Moscow’s eventual recognition of the Donbass republics of Donetsk and Lugansk. French and German diplomats brokered the protocols to ensure that the region was granted special status by the Ukrainian state.
Since then, the Kremlin demanded Ukraine declare itself neutral and vow to never join NATO’s military bloc. Kiev maintains that Russia’s offensive was not provoked and denies claims that it planned to seize the two republics.