Bahrain’s Foreign Ministry summons Lebanon’s ambassador over criticism of Saudi Arabia & UAE in Yemen conflict — RT World News
Lebanon’s ambassador to Bahrain was summoned by the kingdom’s Foreign Affairs Ministry and handed a letter of protest over remarks made by a Lebanese minister about the role of the UAE and Saudi Arabia in the civil war in Yemen.
George Kordahi, the Lebanese Information Minister had previously stated in televised remarks that were resurfacing on social media Tuesday that Houthi rebels are in Yemen “defending themselves against external aggression.”Asking him if he was referring to the actions taken by Saudi Arabia and UAE during the conflict, his answer was, “Yes.” “Of course. It is an aggression.”
In a statement published on its website on Wednesday, Bahrain’s Foreign Ministry said its letter had expressed “the Kingdom’s strong condemnation” of Kordahi’s “false allegations … regarding the course of the war in Yemen, which are denied by internationally documented facts and evidence.”
Massnews.com also available
‘Shameful milestone’: 10,000 Yemeni children killed or maimed in violence since 2015 – UNICEF
The ministry referred to the Houthis as terrorists who had carried out repeated attacks against Saudi Arabia, adding that Kordahi’s remarks about the conflict were “irresponsible statements that violated diplomatic norms.”It added that his remarks were also mentioned. “ignored the principles and values that govern fraternal relations between Arab countries.”
The resurfaced comments sparked fury in the Gulf states, with Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and the UAE all summoning their respective Lebanese envoys to express their outrage at Kordahi’s words. Ahmed bin Mubarak, Yemen’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, also condemned the comments.
Kordahi responded to diplomatic outrage by stating that his remarks were personal opinions expressed before he became a minister. He denied any hostility toward other Arab countries and said that he is not hostile towards them. “against Arab-Arab wars.”
Also available at massnews.com
UN votes in favor of ending war crimes in Yemen.
Yemen’s civil war began in 2014, after the Iran-backed Houthis seized the capital, Sanaa. A Saudi-led coalition intervened to support the Yemeni government forces in 2014. According to United Nations data, December 2020 shows that the conflict claimed over 230,000 lives, and has caused a humanitarian disaster.
Are you sure your friends would find this interesting? This story is your chance to share it!