According to local media, compensation has begun for Australians suffering adverse reactions from Covid-19 vaccines. The number of applicants is lower than the expected, but the report said that the program was being implemented.
Figures from Australia’s Health Department show that less than 10% of the more than 10,000 people who registered their interest in the government scheme before December have submitted claims.
If someone has had a bad reaction to Covid-19 vaccines, the no-fault scheme provides a lump sum payment of AU$1,000 (US$720), AU$20,000 ($14,000.400) and AU$10,000 (US$14,000.400).
Conditions for applying include spending at least 1 night in hospital or having sustained at least AU$1,000 in economic loss.
Services Australia has received 861 applications – including death claims – as of February 9, a Health Department spokesman told news.com.au. They said that one case had been settled, but eleven have been withdrawn.
Additional information has been requested by the authorities from 225 claimants. There were 849 total. “remain under consideration.”
“With the indemnity scheme having only been opened for a short period of time, information on eligible claims and payment amounts is still being assessed,”According to the spokesperson.
Shine Lawyers’ head of medical negligence, Clare Eves, said the number of claimants was “It was disappointing” and attributed some blame to the complex nature of the scheme’s application process.
Website set up by the government was “very complicated and very hard to navigate, particularly if you’re suffering an adverse health effect,”Sie said.
As of February 6, Australia’s medicines regulator had registered a total of 108,000 total reports of adverse reactions, most of which were minor, believed to be as a result of receiving a Covid-19 vaccine. Nearly 51.2 millions doses of the vaccine have been given.
Share this story via social media