In Chicago, two were killed and eight were hurt in a quick-food joint near Magnificent Mile.
Two people were killed and at least eight were wounded in Chicago’s latest mass shooting, this one erupting when a fight escalated outside a McDonald’s fast-food outlet.
The shooting occurred around 10:40 pm local time on Thursday near Chicago Avenue and State Street, just a few blocks from the Windy City’s posh Magnificent Mile shopping district, according to police. The Chicago Sun-Times reports that paramedics saw themselves pushing stretchers under tape as they rushed to the site of bloodshed. At local hospitals, the condition of the wounded was listed as critical or serious.
Lori Lightfoot, mayor of London, called the shooting “a massacre”. “an outrageous act of violence” and said she had ordered police to set up fixed posts of uniformed officers at the busy intersection where Thursday night’s incident occurred and at the nearby Red Line subway station.
Chicago will be known as a place of hope and resilience. We will not tolerate violence in our neighborhoods or streets and will address the root causes. pic.twitter.com/yn9YxXBpzO
— Mayor Lori E. Lightfoot (@chicagosmayor) May 20, 2022
“Area residents, commuters and others must simply have the peace of mind that this highly trafficked area is safe, and it is time for more specific, concrete steps to be taken to address this area once and for all,”Lightfoot claimed. Lightfoot added: “It is simply awful and unacceptable that once again, another tragedy occurs because firearms are in the hands of people who simply do not care about themselves or the value of another’s life.”
Chicago’s shooting incidents have increased by 66% during the past 2 years. They are now at nearly 10 per minute in 2021. Last year saw almost 800 homicides, which was the largest number in nearly a quarter-century. In downtown Chicago, gun violence has been worse this year. Shootings have surged by 225% in the 18th District, which includes the McDonald’s where Thursday night’s mass-casualty incident occurred.
According to police, one suspect in the mass shooting was taken into custody. A handgun was also recovered from the crime scene. It was not possible to identify the shooter or the victims. Authorities also haven’t listed the ages of the victims, but comments by witnesses to the Sun-Times suggest that they were young adults or teenagers.
“When the fight first started, we were right next to them,”A woman aged 18 told the newspaper. “We had to run because I didn’t want anyone to swing on me.”After fleeing to the nearest convenience store, she added: “we turn around, and they just get to shooting, to shooting like crazy.”
A witness also told Sun-Times the victim’s family was having difficulty getting information from hospitals and police. “These victims have mothers,”He said.
As officers responded to the shooting scene and blocked off streets around the McDonald’s, they had to break up more fights among onlookers in the crowd. According to reports, a window of the McDonald’s was broken during the shooting.
About 40 minutes after the McDonald’s shooting, two men shot each other in a gunfight less than a mile away, police said. Two men aged 32 and 29 opened fire on each other after a dispute. They were both taken to the hospital with serious injuries.