1 NYPD Officer Killed, and Another Critically Injured in Harlem Shooting

NEW YORK — A New York City police officer lay in a hospital Saturday after being critically wounded in a shooting in a Harlem apartment that left a fellow officer dead, authorities said.

Officials said that the man who had stolen their gun and shot them was in critical condition. He was wounded when a third officer fired on him while he attempted to flee.

Two officers were killed and one was critically wounded while responding to a call regarding an argument between a mother and her son. Authorities said that Officer Jason Rivera (22) was killed and Officer Wilbert (27) was critically wounded.
[time-brightcove not-tgx=”true”]

Police had no update on Mora’s condition Saturday morning but said he remained hospitalized. Authorities said that 47-year old Lashawn McNeil was the man who shot Mora. He suffered from serious injuries and had to be admitted.

The authorities said that McNeil was the caller and the trio went to McNeil’s apartment. A second son was also present, and officers spoke to the mother. But no weapon was mentioned.

Rivera, Mora, and Chief of Detectives James Essig walked down the hallway from the apartment’s front. McNeil then opened the bedroom door to light the fire.

As McNeil tried to flee, a third officer who had stayed with McNeil’s mother in the front of the apartment shot at McNeil and wounded him in the head and arm, Essig said.

The four officers were one of the first to be shot in the city within the span of two days. This prompted Mayor Eric Adams’ emotional reaction.

“This was just not an attack on these brave officers,” Adams said Friday night. “This was an attack on the city of New York.”

Rivera joined our force in November 2020. Mora joined the NYPD in November 2020.

Adams, three weeks into his job, called for federal authorities to do more to round up stolen guns like the one used in Friday’s shooting.

Police said the gun used in Friday night’s shooting, a .45-caliber Glock with a high-capacity magazine capable of holding up to 40 extra rounds, had been stolen in Baltimore in 2017.

McNeil was currently on probation after a drug conviction in New York City in 2003. He was also arrested out of state. Although he was initially arrested for unlawfully carrying an illegal pistol in South Carolina, records later show that the matter was dismissed. Essig stated that he was charged with assaulting a Pennsylvania police officer in 2002.


Related Articles

Back to top button