America’s top diplomat warned that any Chinese attack on the Philippines would be met with a forceful response
Antony Blinken (US Secretary of State) has called Beijing to reconsider its South China Sea claims and to accept a territorial ruling for 2016 in favor of Philippines. Also, he pledged a US military response if China carries out an illegal act. “armed attack”On the island nation.
Blinken stated that China should be allowed to use the US Embassy’s Manila statement on Tuesday. “abide by its obligations under international law and cease its provocative behavior” in the South China Sea, citing a prior decision by a Hague tribunal which rejected Beijing’s broad claims to the region.
He continued to state that there was no such thing as a “perfect” solution. “armed attack on Philippine armed forces, public vessels, or aircraft in the South China Sea would invoke US mutual defense commitments”Under a 1951 Treaty, the sea was to be protected “free and open.”
Wang Wenbin (Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson) was asked about his comments. “illegal, null and void”While claiming that Washington used the ruling, “drive a wedge between regional countries and undermine peace and stability.”
“China neither accepts nor recognizes it and will never accept any claim or action based on the award. By doing so, we are upholding the international rule of law,”He called for the US to “to respect China’s sovereignty, rights and interests in the South China Sea, stop stirring up trouble and stop using the South China Sea issue to sow discord.”
Beijing was not represented at the 2016 tribunal. Manila sided with Beijing after disputing Chinese claims over the sea. Many other countries also have conflicting claims within the region. These include Brunei, Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan and Brunei.
Enrique Manalo, Philippine Foreign Secretary, commented on the issue on Tuesday. He deemed the ruling to be fair. “indisputable”And stating that it would be enforced by the new national government.
China says it ‘drove away’ US destroyer
“We firmly reject attempts to undermine it… even erase it from law, history and our collective memories,”He said that, but did not mention China.
The Pentagon has been conducting near monthly transits in the South China Sea since the US president Joe Biden assumed office last year. This includes the dispute Taiwan Strait. It also deployed a number of warships into the region despite numerous warnings from Beijing. China claimed Wednesday’s most recent sailthrough. “drove away”After it, an American guided missile destroyer “illegally trespassed into Chinese territorial waters.”