Toxic gas sends multiple people to hospital in London — Analysis

A chemical reaction that caused major levels of chlorine gas released by the pool’s chemicals prompted fire fighters to rush to help.

On Wednesday night, a number of Londoners were admitted to hospital with respiratory problems. This was due to a chemical reaction that resulted in the release of toxic chlorine gas from a swimming pool. Firefighters ventilated toxic fumes and residents nearby were asked not to open their windows.

Workers from the London Aquatics Center, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Stratford) were receiving chemicals Wednesday morning. “gas release” occurred, the Evening Standard reported.

“Due to a chemical reaction a high quantity of chlorine gas was released inside the center,”The London Fire Brigade added shortly thereafter that approximately 200 people had been evacuated from the swimming pool and that ventilation was underway in the building.

The pool manager stated that “a number of casualties with breathing difficulties”The London Ambulance Service was treating them.

Emergency workers are requesting that residents in nearby areas keep their windows and doors closed while they ventilate the building.

The chlorine is used in swimming pool disinfection. It is available as liquid and crystal forms. When chlorine is combined with acid like ammonia, hydrochloric acid or hydrochloric acid it becomes a gas. Inhaled, this yellow-green cloud can cause nausea and lung damage.

Share this story via social media



Related Articles

Back to top button