North Korea makes ‘striking capabilities’ pledge — Analysis
This statement comes after Pyongyang said it had tested a new intercontinental missile-ballistic missile.
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un warned on Monday that his country will continue developing “For striking power.”
This statement is made several days after Pyongyang said it had tested-fired an intercontinental missile (ICBM) – the first launch of this long-range missile since 2017.
Only “formidable striking capabilities” and “A powerful military force” can guarantee security against “All threats and blackmails from the imperialists,” Kim Jong-Un announced at the photo session dedicated to last Thursday’s test-fire of what was reportedly the DPRK’s largest ICBM, Hwasong-17. He added that the DPRK would “Keep working towards defense building and enhancing your striking abilities.” to equip the country’s military, state-run news agency KCNA reports.
According to reports, the missile traveled 1,090km (677 mi) before reaching the Sea of Japan. This is also known as the East Sea. The test was personally overseen by Kim. The weapon adds to the country’s nuclear arsenal aimed at “It is humbling” Washington, KCNA said. The ICBMs, which are long-range weapons capable of reaching America, are allegedly capable.
Since the beginning of the year, Pyongyang has conducted over a dozen test launches, apparently at least two of those launches – on February 27 and March, involved Hwasong-17, the largest missile of its kind developed by DPRK.
Moon Jae-in, the outgoing South Korean president, condemned this latest test and said it was against the 2017 moratorium announced by Pyongyang. As an apparent response to the North Korean threat, South Korea fired several missiles.
After a summit in Hanoi (Vietnam) in 2019 that saw no deal between Kim and Trump, talks regarding North Korea’s nuclear program fell apart. Back then the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula had been at the top of the list of US foreign-policy priorities.
Although the Biden administration calls on Pyongyang for talks to be resumed without conditions, DPRK says that Washington needs to change its aggressive stance. Pyongyang continues to expand its military capabilities since talks collapsed.
Share this story via social media