How to Choose a VPN Provider: My Honest Opinion
The options when it comes to hiring a VPN are many, here we discover the criteria to decide on the most reliable option that guarantees good operation and meets all your needs.
A virtual private network (VPN) offers you advantages when it comes to accessing the internet, such as more security, encryption of the connection, and anonymity. Even if you need to, you can make it appear that you are connecting from a different geographic location than yours.
Surely I don’t need to tell you much more, the next step is to choose a good VPN provider to take advantage of all those benefits. Here we show you how to choose the best VPN server for you.
But first, let’s start with the basics so you know what you are hiring.
What Is a VPN?
Before choosing the best VPN, you should know in more detail what it means to use a VPN connection for you.
The VPN connection basically creates a secure connection in a public access network, for example for a hotel, a university, etc. This can also apply to your home network. Most VPN services are available on all platforms. You can easily find VPN for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS as well.
And this is where the interesting thing is, thanks to a VPN in your home, you will ensure that the data you share over the Internet is protected by encrypting it so that you “hide” your activity and make it more anonymous. At the same time, it offers an extra layer of protection.
Advantages of Using a VPN
I summarize the advantages of using this technology:
– It works with all the Internet traffic you generate, from any device or application.
– It is very easy to connect and disconnect from the network.
– It offers an extra layer of security to your Internet connection when they are encrypted.
– It does not share data with your Internet access provider, so it protects your privacy.
– You can track the connection to make it appear that you are connecting from another geographical location and bypass the blocks on some platforms that limit content by region.
Disadvantages of Browsing Through a VPN
Not everything could be good, of course, here we go with the negative part:
– The speed is lower when connecting through the VPN since the connection “travels” to the connection point established by the VPN. Besides, many limit the speed.
– They are not perfect, so safety is not 100% guaranteed, so be careful how you use them.
– They cost money. But don’t worry! iTop VPN is the best free VPN for Windows. You can use the amazing VPN for free.
– Not all of them allow you to falsify your geographical location, especially when browsing through a mobile phone.
– They do not guarantee your anonymity, they help, but it is not 100% enough.
Criteria When Choosing a VPN Provider
Now let’s see what you should consider when choosing a VPN provider.
It is another factor to know if the VPN company is serious or not. How are other customers doing? Find opinions about the company that interests you and read what other users have to say. If you have a lot of bad opinions, it is not a good sign.
Check that the VPN service you choose has fast and powerful servers that do not limit your speed.
One of the things to look at is that the VPN or virtual private network does not suffer from constant drops that prevent its good use. For example, check the reviews of clients who are not using blocked IPs, since that can make them block access to services you use, such as a mail service or that of a government institution.
Find out what are the security protocols used by the company, what do they do when something goes wrong? It is your data that is at stake.
Here you should look at accessibility and signal strength. If the signal is strong, the connectivity will be more stable.
If you have a company and you need the VPN for your employees to access the Internet, this functionality will be very useful since it allows you to audit their use.
A quality encryption protocol favors your security and privacy when using the VPN, as well as the protection of your data.
It is important that it has a simple way to be able to turn it off whenever you want. This will allow you to quickly exit the VPN in the event of a network failure.
Before hiring, check that the customer service is good, fast, and efficient. You can see this by reading the opinions of other clients and contacting them before renting their services. Contact their technical support and ask them something (better if it is technical and specific), and if possible, during non-office hours.
The options when hiring a VPN server are many, now you have the criteria to decide on the most reliable option that guarantees good operation and meets all your needs. And if you ask me, I would recommend iTop VPN because this free VPN service fulfills all the criteria mentioned above.