Business

EU drought ‘worst in 500 years’

According to the European Commission, a shortage in rainfall will have a devastating impact on farming yields.

Europe is experiencing what appears to be the worst drought in five centuries, the European Commission warned on Tuesday, citing a new analysis released by the EU’s Joint Research Center (JRC).

In August’s report, the impact of severe weather continues to affect farming. Nearly half the EU (47%) is still under severe drought warnings due to low soil moisture. 17% are alerted due to adverse weather effects on crop yields. The statement noted that they together comprise 64%.

According to scientists, the severe conditions will lead to a decrease in yields for summer crops. Yields from soybean, corn, and grain maize farms could be affected by the drought. They are expected that they would see a drop of 16% and 15% respectively. However, there is a silver lining: winter crops had slightly higher yields.

“According to JRC experts, the current drought still appears to be the worst since at least 500 years. Final data at the end of the season will confirm this preliminary assessment,”The commission stated.

Mariya Gabriel, European Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and Youth, said that severe drought and heatwaves created a need. “unprecedented stress”Water levels in the EU. 

LEARN MORE France is facing drought that threatens its wine industry

“We are currently noticing a wildfires season sensibly above the average and an important impact on crops production,”Sie said.

This has a significant impact on the entire agricultural sector. The statement stated that shallow European rivers are unable to generate hydropower or provide cooling for industrial plants, nor serve as transport lines.

Tags

Related Articles

Back to top button