NEW YORK — A woman wounded in last month’s mass shooting on a New York City subway filed a lawsuit Tuesday against the maker of the handgun allegedly used in the attack and its parent company, accusing the firearm manufacturer of “reckless disregard for human life.”
According to authorities, the attacker used a semiautomatic 9mm Glock handgun.
In her lawsuit, filed in federal court in Brooklyn, Ilene Steur said Glock has “endangered the public health and safety” with the marketing, distribution and sales of its guns.
Glock was emailed to request comments.
Learn More The ‘Good Guys With Guns’ Keep Failing to Stop Mass Shootings
Steur was one 10 wounded when a gunman shot dozens at morning commuters aboard a train. Frank James has pleaded not guilt to the terrorist and other charges.
In the lawsuit, Glock is accused of “marketing that emphasizes firearm characteristics such as their high capacity and ease of concealment, that appeal to prospective purchasers with criminal intent.”
The lawsuit was filed as the nation reels from last week’s massacre of 19 children and two teachers at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas.
Families of victims of Sandy Hook Elementary School’s 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook reached a settlement worth $73M in February. Remington, who manufactured the gun used in that attack, was sued.
Families argued that the company shouldn’t have sold such a deadly weapon to the general public. Their focus was to prevent future mass shootings, forcing gun manufacturers to take more responsibility for their products and their marketing.
Gun rights organizations said that the settlement will likely have minimal effect on rifle sales or gun manufacturers, as they are still protected from federal liability. However, some experts suggest that it might encourage insurance companies to press gun makers to change.
Read More From Time